Huwebes, Agosto 29, 2013

Review: The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristin Harmel






Just finished another book and this time it's from a foreign author. It's 'The Sweetness of Forgetting'  by Kristin Harmel. I picked this book when we were in Norway. I don't regret ever buying this book. Am glad I actually decided to buy it.

I wanted to read something serious because I've been reading a lot of more or less crappy books lately that I thought I should take a break and read something with depth. This book definitely is a must read for those hopeless romantics out there.

The author described Paris beautifully that I wanted to go there myself and experience how romantic the place was.

Kristin Harmel was able to convey the truest, purest and greatest love a man can supposedly give. All the characters in this book each have their own sacrifices for the one they love and it just makes me want to believe that such great love does indeed exists in this world and time. Other books would often include sexual tension or physical attraction to define love but with this book, it never did.

Can really one hold on to love over the span of more than seventy years? And give all the sacrifices just to make the one you love happy and have a better life? The story of Rose Picard and Jacob Levy really made me want to believe in that kind of love and connection of their souls. Makes me hope that I too can find someone like Jacob Levy but I might just be delusional to even hope. I dunno.

There is also a fact of life here that the book points out. That is not everything we dreamed of can come true. Like the career path we want to take. No matter how much we want them, if we are just not meant to have that kind of career, we'll never be. I myself has experienced that. And maybe I was too much of a coward to pursue my dream but maybe it's for the better of everyone even for the people around me.

Anyway, this book was a great read. Gave me insights of how it was back in the Holocaust and despite the tragedy, love still prevails and makes them hold on until they finally see each other again. Though the ending was with the Rose and Jacob dying, I felt satisfied but a little bummed by it. After waiting for all their lives to find each other, They weren't even together for a day and they both die due to old age. But at least they were reunited before they died and that was their biggest goal after all. So I guess it ended well. And they were both happy and at peace.

Oh how I wish love is really like that!!!

Must read!!!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento